Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Technology Integration and Instruction

This past summer, Ben Rudd and I taught a course called, Technology Integration and Instruction, or something to that effect. In the process, we created a Technology Integration and Instruction web site where we posted a wealth of resources for teachers to use to help integrate technology into instruction.

Please use the link above, or use the links to classroom web sites on the district web site, to visit our site. Explore a bit and choose something from there (or from someplace else) to try using with your students in your classroom.

Then post something here on our blog to tell us what you tried and how it worked out. Please post links as appropriate so that we can look at the tool and maybe try using it ourselves.

9 comments:

Denise said...

I also think United Streaming is a great resource and have been trying to publicize it's use with teachers. I have already had some classes signing up for extra time in the labs to show their space and science curriculum based videos. Though, some of the videos are longer than others and take some time to stream or download, it is still a beneficial tool for teachers and for students.

Terri said...

I went in search of a good math site for my kids on this link and I wanted to let you know about "Count Us In". This is for primary kids. It covers a number of concepts and each game offers an easy and hard version. This allows you differentiate what kids are working on without giving them completely different activities.

At our last staff development council meeting, it seems the next big push in the district is to have everyone formally trained in Differentiated Instruction...this site will be an asset for that.

Wendy said...

I was looking around for different sites to use for math facts. We are working on making basic addition and subtraction facts more automatic. I looked at Math Playground and Count Us In. I haven't tried these with my students yet, but I am eager to get the students on here to see if their interest in computers will spark them to practice their facts.

I was looking around at other sections and saw Enchanted Learning. I used this last year with my 2nd graders for our animal research projects and it was wonderful. It included information they could understand, along with pictures and diagrams. We will be using this site again this year!

Unknown said...

United Streaming - I'm going to send out an email to the staff about United Streaming. We have a school passcode to use to then log in and set up individual teacher accounts.

After you all explore this resource, maybe we can talk about ways to get other teachers excited about using it also.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you found some good math resources here. I'll put a link on Burch Learning to Count Us In and also to Math Playground to make it easier for the kids to get to it.

If you use specific parts of these sites in lessons or activities, I hope you'll tell us about it. I'd like to know what you end up doing with these sites.

Wendy said...

I went to look at the United Streaming website and the videos are great! It was easy to search and find a lot of information about many different topics. This website can be overwhelming at times but the information is great. There are some things I should caution you about…You need time in advance to download the files, screen the videos, and run it on the computer you will be using (I had a sound issue). I even found some things that teach ELA skills. There are videos that teach main idea and details. I like that you can filter your search by grade level. I will definitely be looking deeper and preparing to use this with my animal research unit.

Wendy said...

I went searching for more websites for my students to use for independent practice in math. I searched “Google” and came up with this website, http://www.internet4classrooms.com/skills_2nd.htm. There is too much here to share. There are things like counting coins, counting by ones, twos, threes, fives, and tens, adding, subtracting and so much more. It actually has ELA items on there but I was only concentrating on the math section so far. This is a website for 2nd graders but some of the “games” seem to be appropriate for other grade levels depending on the skills taught. You may have to pick the games to use because some may be too easy or too difficult and some don’t work without you signing up. This has a lot of information that I have not looked into yet but it’s a good place to start.

Unknown said...

Booklover, you wrote "I don't think you can save what has been written so it can be worked on at another time. This may pose a problem for some of my students. If you know if written work on ReadWriteThink can be saved, please let me know. Thanks!

Unfortunately, there is no way to save your work with those online tools at Read*Write*Think. That's the one draw back of the site. The only way around it that I can think of is to have kids storyboard or write out and edit things ahead of time and then go to the computer to enter the info. That might save time. You could even print out a blank copy of some of the online forms so they see what will go where.

I haven't investigated if there is a place to send Read*Write*Think some feedback, but I'll see if I can find a way to ask them about saving. I suspect, since this is an online tool, being able to save would require server space and more complicated programming.

Wendy said...

I am working on animal and plant life cycles so I decided to check out the “Scholastic Online Activities”. I like that it is split up into grade levels and easy to maneuver. I spent a lot of time in the 2ng grade science and found some good ideas for lessons and clips of videos and books that are tied to life cycles. It has a section just for Magic School Bus. It also has interactive games but I feel that they may be too hard for some of my 2nd graders. I would like to see the directions with audio so the kids can follow and listen. There is a lot of information in the Technology Integration and Instruction section and I will be back again to explore some of the reading and writing websites.