Thought you all might be interested in a post and links to some articles I posted on the blog I'm collaborating on with the Instructional Technology Specialists at BOCES.
This is about wikis. If you aren't sure what a wiki is, very simply they are free encyclopedias, online, that anyone can add to or edit. Click on the Digital Illuminations title at the top to go to my post on the other blog and find the links to the articles.
Click below to go to Wikipedia, the most famous wiki on the web, to learn more.
Welcome to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.
In this English version, started in 2001, we are currently working on 937,624 articles.
Wikipedia FAQs - Categories - A–Z - Portals - Ask a question - Site news - Donations
Culture | Geography | History | Mathematics | People | Science | Society | Technology
I'd love to hear what you all think about wikis.


2 comments:
This is a pretty good resource. I looked up information on animals and storms. This encyclopedia has some great information and pictures. I think the readability is a bit high for my kids but it's typical for most encyclopedias. I think the quick index would be a bit confusing for kids so I went right to the search box and the information popped right up. I do have a question…what does it mean when is states anyone can add to or edit it? Is there a guarantee that the information will stay accurate and appropriate?
Wendy said...
I do have a question…what does it mean when is states anyone can add to or edit it? Is there a guarantee that the information will stay accurate and appropriate?
That's at the heart of the debate about resources like this. Some say that because it can be edited, that people will correct it and seek to make the information accurate. I'm not sure there is a guarrantee. However, there also is no guarrantee that information found in a book or elsewhere online is 100% accurate and unbiased either. I think the key is to teach students to consult more than one source and to try to validate information.
Post a Comment