Monday, April 17, 2006

There Are No Shortcuts

I highly recommend you listen to this podcast, There Are No Shortcuts. This is a very inspiring look at education by a 5th grade teacher in Los Angelos, Rafe Esquith. The podcast is a recording of a presentation he and some of his students did at the Texas Computer Education Assocation’s annual conference on February 10, 2006. The podcast was recorded and posted by Wesley Fryer on his site, Moving at the Speed of Creativity (I highly recommend his site as well.) In this presentation Mr. Esquith talks about technology in the classroom, but in very different ways. He uses technology very much integrated into real life experience and skills to reach students in an LA elementary school with over 2,000 students, K-5, where more than 90% of them are below the poverty level and speak English as a second language. However, he doesn't focus soley on technology use either. What he has done with his students is incredible. And he doesn't use technology in the ways we are used to hearing about. It's listening to teachers like this that makes me long for a class of my own again.

Please take a listen and comment below. Since the podcast is about 50 min. long, listening and then commenting can count as your whole April online time and half of your May online time.

4 comments:

Denise said...

I listened to this pod cast and was actually brought to tears! What an amazing individual and exemplar teacher. He talks about using technology in his classroom in ways that are not quite what we think "technology use" is. I wish I had him as a 5th grade teacher. He makes it fun for his students and in the end, they do learn and take these life lessons along with them through life (as some of his examples have shown, i.e the film director). I wish we could have Mr. Esquith come to Hilton with his students and give a seminar or speech to our staff. Not to say that we don't have teachers such as this in our district, but this pod cast was very inspiring and may spark an idea or two for someone who may be struggling with a class or student. Thanks Lori!

Wendy said...

This pod cast was inspirational. I really enjoyed listening to Rafe Esquith and his students. It is amazing to hear his students’ performances and how eloquent they are. It is so hard to believe that they are only 5th graders. I would like to look up some more information on Rafe and his class to learn more. I really got emotional to hear testimonials from his former students and how he truly made a difference in their lives by teaching them not only about reading, writing, and arithmetic but also about life. It is great to hear about the positives things that are going on in education.

Terri said...

Wow! Rafe is amazing. This is a perfect podcsast to listen to at this time of year. It renews my passion for what I do and inspires me to do things differently. The stories about the film maker and the Notre Dame admissions letter touched my heart. I loved his advice to new teachers especially the one for having high expectations. Can you imagine what kind of mentor he would be? I am wondering if he has published a book yet. If he does, I'm buying it!!

ghoffer said...

The podcast "There Are No Shortcuts' would be wonderful to listen to on our first day back to school in September. Rafe is definately a teacher who believes in his students and cares to keep them current with regard to technology and life skills. It is evident that he offers a variety of hands on learning experiences to his students. He also shows them regularly how much he cares about them, not just how much he knows. He brings each and every student up to par in regards to the skills they have missed in the past school years. His dedication, love and passion is what we all should be reminded of as we start each every new school year.