Monday, October 23, 2006

Google for Educators


This post is from the Ed Tech MW & HS Blog and was posted there by Patti Sullivan. Thanks, Patti, for letting me "borrow" this.

On Wednesday, October 17th, Google expanded one of its services and now offers Google for Educators. This site has instructions and some lesson plans on how to use Google in the classroom. You can explore one of these features and write a comment here on how useful this is to you. Anyone who would like to present this feature to this class is welcome! Please leave a comment if you explore a feature and let us know what you think.

**NOTE** - You can sign up for a teacher's newsletter from Google. There is a link on the right-hand side of the main page at Google for Educators.

7 comments:

Wendy said...

I took a look at Google for Educators. I looked at the options that they offer and it seem like there is some good things here but it’s a lot to look at all at once. I played a bit with the calendar piece. It reminds me of the calendar that is on Outlook. It has some of the same options. I tried the book search too. I like how it shows you the pages in the book so you can make a decision before you buy it. I do not like that there are too many texts on a general topic and many seem outdated. This looks like it can be time consuming.

Lori, I am unclear about the Apps for Education part. It shows Gmail and Google Talk. Is this something we can look into as a communication component for my project with the school in Texas? I didn’t look further than the descriptors because it asks for the school to sign up.

Unknown said...

Wendy,

I'm not sure about the Google Talk. I'll have to take a look at that. We could actually create an email account for your class in Gmail that could be used for your collaboration. Good idea.

One thing that is nice about the calendar, is that you can share it with others. I'm thinking of trying to use that for our group of staff developers.

Anonymous said...

I love the ideas and great opportunities you show us but I get a bit overwhelmed at trying to remember them...could we have a review class where we use or talk about how others have been using the stuff you have already shared? Just a thought...

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of Google for Educators. Parts of it seem very student friendly. Looked like a neat poster to print out that explains how to do a Google Search on a topic.

Anonymous said...

I think Google for Educators is a neat tool to have in helping refining searches on the internet. It seems student and teacher friendly and grade appropiate.

Anonymous said...

This website has so many helpful areas. I particularly found the Tools for Educators helpful. It has a book search section, which allows you to search for similar types of books--ex. rhyming, and this could be very helpful in a primary classroom. I'll be going back to look at other areas. The Google custom search engine looks interesting too. It seems to be quite user friendly.

Steve said...

I never knew Google had so many options for educators. There needs to be a wrkshop on how to use these features. I looked closely at the Google. I thought it was great how educators were giving feedback back to Google on how to make it better from a teacher's viewpt. I want to explore Google Docs more. I have used it alittle, but it appears to have more uses. Thanks for the info.