Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Collective Knowledge of a Class, K-12

Another BOCES colleague of mine posted the following idea on another blog, referring to the concept of wikis and their ability to create a community of people sharing knowledge.
Imagine if we started a wiki with a group of kindergartners next year, and by the end of their K-12 education they could have a copy of the collective knowledge their class created? What possibilities does that present?

What an intriging idea? Any thoughts?

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Wikis sound like a great way to share knowledge with a large group of people. The idea of starting a wiki with a group of kindergartners and to keep it going until they are seniors sound like an interesting idea. It would be a great way for the students to look back at how far they have come. It would almost be like a living time capsual. It sounds like a large undertaking. Lori, what is your vision for this?

Unknown said...

Wendy, I think you are right, this would be a large undertaking! I think I'd like to start with 1 class, at any grade level, and just try some wiki building on a small scale to get our feet wet.

Then, maybe it would be cool to work with a teacher who loops and create a 2 year wiki project.

Ultimately, it might be a cool way to develop a sort of portfolio, but it would be hard for me to get enough teachers onboard to do a whole K-6 project.

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting and intriguing idea! I think it would be so neat for students to be able to see their progress from kindergarten to high school. It would also be helpful for teachers to have access to some part of their records.

leahw said...

I think that this would is an amazing idea. I think that it would be fascinating to see how much technology will change in 12 years. What a great thing to share with parents too. This would be really cool.